Mr. Djavaherian is a standards and intellectual property professional, focused on patent, standards, policy and RAND licensing matters. He counsels technology clients in matters relating to IP, disputes and litigation, licensing and standard-essential patents.
Exemplary SSO and RAND Policy Work: Mr. Djavaherian is deeply involved in patent policy work at prominent standards organizations, such as the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), to review, analyze and update IPR policy language. He coordinated and hosted the ITU’s January 2014 and September 2015 IPR Policy Group meetings, and helped draft the ITU’s 2014 manual Understanding Patents, Competition & Standardization in an Interconnected World. Mr. Djavaherian worked with members of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) to address policies for reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing. He was selected by the Department of State to serve as a Delegate for the United States at the 2014 and 2015 United Nations’ Telecommunication Standards Advisory Board (TSAG) meetings, helping to develop and support U.S. Government approaches to RAND licensing.
Business and Licensing Experience: Mr. Djavaherian spent nearly a decade in-house leading patent and technology licensing negotiations, with extensive “field experience” in addressing RAND obligations and their impact on business terms. He has worked closely with business teams and engineering personnel to develop and analyze reasonable licensing terms and fair business arrangements, and to manage SSO engagements.
SEP-Related Trial Testimony and FRAND Arbitration Matters:
- In re Innovatio IP Ventures, LLC Patent Litigation, Case No. 11-9308 (N.D. Ill.): Testimony addressing RAND licensing issues for the 802.11 standard.
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization v. Cisco Systems, Inc., Case No. 11-343 (E.D. Tx.): Testimony addressing licensing issues for SEP portfolio allegedly addressing IEEE standards.
- In re Certain Network Devices, Related Software and Components Thereof (I), ITC Investigation No. 337-944: Expert testimony addressing RAND obligations.
- In re Certain Network Devices, Related Software and Components Thereof (I), ITC Investigation No. 337-945: Expert testimony addressing RAND obligations.
- Sharp v. InterDigital (2015-2016): International RAND arbitration regarding SEP discrimination and RAND abuse.
RAND Advocacy and Governmental Engagement: Continuing his prior in-house work, Mr. Djavaherian leads international patent policy efforts and international SSO engagement, with particular focus on RAND licensing issues and obligations. He led engagements throughout the United States, Europe and Asia, including at IEEE, ETSI, ITU, TSDSI, MIIT and various other standards-setting bodies. Mr. Djavaherian also led agency and governmental engagement on RAND and patent policy issues. In 2013, Mr. Djavaherian was invited to speak at a United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee forum regarding patent policy and reform.
|PacTech Law, P.C.
|PacTech Consulting, LLC
||Associate General Counsel, 2010-2014
||Vice President & Associate General Counsel, 2007-2010
|Irell & Manella LLP
||Intellectual Property & Litigation Counsel, 1999-2007
EXEMPLARY ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS:
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Committee on Technical Standardization, 2016
- President’s Award, Broadcom Corporation, 2014
- President, Federal Bar Association, Orange County Chapter, 2012 (Member of Board of Directors, 2007-2014)
- Superior Results Award, Tessera, Inc., 2009
- Adjunct, University of California at Irvine School of Business (Intellectual Property Law and Strategy for Business Managers), 2006-07
- Boalt Hall Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2006-08
Berkeley Law, Juris Doctor 1999
Georgetown University, M.A. 1997
University of California at Berkeley, B.A. 1995